My Favorite Unlicense Shoujo and Josei Manga of 2013
Favorite New Series/Oneshot Compilation of 2013
- “Baraou no Souretsu” by Aya Kanno
- “Kanojo ni Naru Hi” by Akane Ogura
- “Haikyo Shoujo” by Tsukiji Nao
- “Lip Smoke” by Mai Nishikata
- “Hanaibara” by Mio Kawahara (currently being worked on for CF)
- “Kanojo ni Naru Hi — Another” by Akane Ogura
- “Boku no Hitsugi de Bansan o” by Nari Kusakawa
- “Kisu ni Renzoku” by Yuu Toyota
- “Honjitsu, Akane Hiyori” — Today’s Weather is Akane by Yui Sakuraba (planned for CF in 2014)
- “Jinrou Chronicle” by Lay Mutsuki
“Hanaibara” — An illustrator, Hassuku Yanase, moves into a country house his eccentric grandfather left to him. Living in the house are an erotic fiction writer, Soyogo Muro, and his younger sister, Kanako Muro, who he uses as his model for his works. Yanase decides to be the illustrator for Soyogo’s latest work. (Okay, technically this is seinen since it ran in Avarus).
“Today’s Weather is Akane” — Akane promises to marry Shu when he returns from abroad. Akane is expected to continue on her father’s traditional Japanese restaurant, but when Shu returns, he wants to open a Western style restaurant instead. Meanwhile, Akane’s father bought Natsuhiko, who is ALWAYS irritable, into the family business for the obvious reason… heh-heh… It’s a typical historical shoujo love triangle, but it’s very done well while keeping the drama to a minimum. This is a wonderful easygoing short series that I hope CF will bring to you all in 2014.
- “Anniversary” bu Yu Uemori
- “Bread and Butter” by Hinako Ashihara
- “Princess Ledahlia” by You Higuri
Favorite Oneshots of 2013 (Translated this year)
- “Boushi no Ue no Oka” by Nao Tsukiji
- “Puzzle” by Morie Satoshi
- “Tosagare Renren” by Nari Kusakawa
- “Blushing Boy MacArthur” by Lammy Uchimiya
- “Kutsunashihime” by Akanatsu
The most fun project I worked on this year — “Lovely Vampire Weddings”. The artwork was too lovely and the stories were infectiously sweet.
I know many of your have the chance to read a lot more unlicensed titles that I did, so please share some of the glorious finds on you favorite list.